Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bernstein

Like most male journalists, I'm more of a Woodward man than I am a Bernstein man - I mean, would you rather be Robert Redford, or Dustin Hoffman? but anyway, here's Bernstein on TV news:

Carl Bernstein said on "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer": "I think that the real trends in journalism in the past 30 years have been toward gossip, sensationalism, manufactured controversy, and at the same time as we're doing the dumbing down of most American journalism to the point where we're losing most of our context, then you have these great newspapers like the Washington Post and the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, that are doing better reporting in many ways than they ever have." BOB WOODWARD'S BEEF: "There is a lot of good journalism, but the environment is, 'Hey, that's on CNN. My God, let's go chase it.'" (PBS NewsHour)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog by searching on my fave films "All The President's Men". You moan about your job a lot (and not getting your recent promotion) but at least you ARE a working journalist.

When I was 16 I made a lot of bad choices and dropped out of school (partly due to two years of being bullied at school -- detailed in my very long blogs "David Darling Parts 1, 2 and 3"), went to secretarial college and have since ended up earning my living for the past 24 years by TYPING words instead of WRITING words.

I don't think I would be moaning so much if someone was paying me to working in the media!

Look on the bright side!

Best wishes,
Sharon

Tyler Jackson said...

You make a good point, Sharon, and I thank you.

:)