Sunday, May 11, 2008

New look, new Outlook

I had to change the look of the blog - I think my inability to post on a more consistent basis has something to do with that ugly brown I had going, but I guess we'll see ...

So, I didn't write about this before, but I DID NOT get the promotion I was up for and I thought they'd go outside if they DIDN'T go with me, but no, they hired from within - one of my colleagues who's been at WTEN for about six months now, and, you know, I see the writing on the wall.

I don't know how long I can last at WTEN anymore because we're now on a crusade to overhaul the type of reporting we've done now for years, ever since I've been here - community focused news, smart journalism about what's happening in the world ... we've been the only news station in Albany to actually consistently report on the war in Iraq.

So, WTEN is now entering the world of clever graphics, bells, whistles and the bottom line, which is that we ABSOLUTELY must cut the distance between WTEN and Fox and NBC ... So, what are we going to do to make that happen?

Pretty much whatever it takes.

So, if you see news stories that don't seem newsworthy, or if we run stories into the ground that seem irrelevant to anyone and everyone, well, we're doing it because YOU'RE WATCHING and WE KNOW IT and WE'RE GIVING YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE because yes, you SAY you care about the War, but you don't really want to SEE it - because yeah, it's bloody, a lot of people are dying and it seems endless.

Anyway, sorry about the tone, sorry about the self-righteousness too - I've just always been an advocate for good journalism, but now I don't see the point anymore.

No comments: