Friday, June 13, 2008

fighting the good fight

I don't see why it makes me a bad guy to insist that covering a story about ONE missing girl -- a story with NO NEW DEVELOPMENTS, mind you -- is less important than covering other topics that affect hundreds, thousands, or even millions of people.

I'm not trying to minimize the tragedy of SadGrrl13's disappearance, okay? It's sad. It has affected her and her family's lives indelibly. But why does it warrant round-the-clock coverage, while more important things get short shrift? My assertion has nothing to do with SadGrrl13 herself -- it has to do with HOW we report the freakin NEWS!

I mean, it's obvious. Ratings. It's sensational. I'm not an idiot, I know that's what's up. I'm just not afraid or ashamed to stand up and call WTEN on it. Whatever happened to real journalism? Can I just jump back in time to the '70's please?

Tension tension tension.

Ever feel like you're the only one who seems to get it? You're in the minority, or all alone, in defending principles and standing up for what SEEMS obvious. I feel like I'm having to hop on top of my chair and scream "The sky is blue!" while everyone else seems to willfully ignore what's right and insist that it's paisley. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. Or Ibsen's Enemy of the People. (See, I read.)

I've fought for years to keep WTEN a news outlet to be proud of. It's my WHOLE LIFE. And now it feels like it's getting sucked into a vortex of stupidity.

I'm NOT gonna let this go.

No comments: